So, February flew by! Between road trips and work on the farm kicking up a notch (babies, babies, babies), already a week or so into March and I feel like I’m only just catching up. Bright, clear days and the recent time change have brought along a sturdy feeling of spring here in Northern CA and I’m starting to think about planting our garden and if we want meat birds or more laying hens this season (maybe both?).
My knitting time has been a bit unpredictable the past few weeks, but it turns out I actually have a few finished projects to share, probably because they are pint size knits. The first is the Sophie Blouse which was a surprisingly quick knit. The result is a great little top, perfect for slipping over anything (pj’s!) to add an extra layer of warmth. In fact this top gets so much use that it has been worn, loved and washed already before I got around to getting any FO shots. The yarn is MCN Twist Fingering ‘Victorian’ by Northbound Knitting, and although there is quite a bit of piling, my love of the colourway overrides that, and between all the holding and cuddling, baby knits are going to be heavy handed anyway. The pattern is very straight forward, and I knit it as is. I’m excited for Nikki Van de Car‘s new book for toddlers, as I have knit a lot out of her first one. (this, this and this)
Next up for our little one was a project I should have been putting off for more important things, but the excitement of working on it won me over! The pattern is Fairy SnowCap by Rosemary (Romi) Hill, part of The Great Oddments Knitdown, and I don’t mind if this is the only pattern I make from the whole collection, it was worth every single penny… cent! I shrunk the pattern down to fit about an 18″ head. I don’t wear hats, the curls keeps me plenty warm, and I’d rather be able to see this hat than have to find a mirror to view the beautiful pattern – its perfect on her! I used a worsted weight yarn, Erin by Imperial Yarns in ‘Sweet Plum’, and worked on US 5 and US 3 size needles. After finishing the hat as written I felt like it needed a few more rows of the twisted rib to cover up her ears. The sewn bind off was a special treat, I love any fancy finishing. It was the first time for me using pom pom maker – genius things! – and although the result is a little over the top and could probably use a bit of trimming, I think I’m going to leave it as it is!!
As for more the important things, I’m working away on new patterns and still revisiting the older ones. Things have been a bit neglected so its a month to catch up!